What Saith the Scripture?
Jesus Christ, the Hope in You
"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and
LORD Jesus Christ, which is our hope."
(1 Timothy 1:1)
"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery
among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the Hope of Glory."
by Charles G. Finney
(edited by Katie Stewart)
Christ is our Hope. Our only rational expectation is from
Him. Christ in us is our Hope of glory. Without Christ in us, we have no good or
well-grounded hope of glory. Christ in the Gospel, Christ on the cross, Christ risen,
Christ in Heaven, all is hope, of an external type, to the believer; but Christ in
us, Christ actually present, living, and reigning in us, as really as He lives and
reigns in glory, is the only bedrock and only well-grounded Hope a real Christian
We cannot stress this too much. The soul that does not know, and Spiritually know,
Christ in this relation has absolutely no well-grounded hope. He may hope that he
is a Christian. He may hope that his sins are forgiven, that he shall be saved. But
he can have no good hope of glory. It cannot be too fully understood, or too deeply
realized, that absolute despair of help and salvation in any other possible way,
except by Christ in us, is an unalterable condition of our knowing and embracing
Christ as our Hope.
Many seem to have conceived of Christ as their hope only in His outward relation,
that is, as an atoning Savior, as a risen and ascended Savior, but also as a factual,
historical, concrete statistic. The indispensable necessity of having Christ within
them, ruling in their hearts and establishing His government over their whole being,
is a condition of salvation of which they have not thought. Christ cannot be truly
and savingly our hope, in any degree further than He is received into, and reigns,
in our souls. To hope in merely an outward Christ is to hope in vain.
To hope in Christ with true Christian hope implies:
a. We know the full spiritual image of our hopeless condition without Him.
It implies an understanding of our sins, as to annihilate all hope of salvation concerning
the demands of the Law of God.
- Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death."
- Romans 6:21 "What fruit had ye then in those things
whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death."
- Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered
into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all
- Romans 1:32 "Who knowing the judgment of God, that
they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have
pleasure in them that do them."
b. We know, with such a perception of our spiritual bondage to sin, that without
Him, all hope of salvation is extinguished, and that we cannot exist as a Christian
without His constant influence and strength to keep us from sinning.
- Jude 1:24 "Now unto Him that is able to keep you from
falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding
- Romans 16:25 "Now to Him that is of power to stablish
- Romans 14:4 "Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is
able to make him stand."
- Ephesians 3:20 "Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding
abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the Power that worketh in
- Ephesians 5:26-27 "That He might sanctify and cleanse
it with the washing of water by the Word, that He might present it to Himself a glorious
church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy
and without blemish."
- Colossians 3:4 "When Christ, Who is our life, shall
appear, then shall ye also appear with Him in glory."
- 2 Timothy 4:18 "And the LORD shall deliver me from
every evil work, and will preserve me unto His heavenly kingdom"
- Hebrews 13:20-21 "Now the God of peace ... make you
perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is wellpleasing
in His sight, through Jesus Christ"
- Philippians 2:13 "For it is God which worketh in you
both to will and to do of His good pleasure."
- 1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called
us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus ... make you perfect, stablish, strengthen,
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 "And the very God of peace sanctify
you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless
unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."
- John 17:17 "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word
- 1 Peter 1:5 "Who are kept by the power of God through
faith unto salvation"
- Romans 5:21 "That as sin hath reigned unto death,
even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ
- 1 John 3:8 "He that committeth sin is of the devil
... For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works
of the devil."
c. With such a knowledge of our circumstances, we know the temptation of fighting
our own battles, and the fruitless effort of making, in the least degree, any headway
against our spiritual foes. We know, that in our own wisdom and strength, we
have no expectation of pleasing God in any respect, and thus, we have no expectation
of really being a Christian.
- John 7:18 "He that speaketh of himself seeketh his
own glory: but he that seeketh His glory that sent Him, the same is true, and no
unrighteousness is in Him."
- 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 "Let no man deceive himself.
If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that
he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written,
He taketh the wise in their own craftiness."
- Jeremiah 9:23-24 "Thus saith the LORD, Let not the
wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let
not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that
he understandeth and knoweth Me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness,
judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the
- Isaiah 64:6 "But we are all as an unclean thing, and
all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags"
- Ephesians 6:12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and
blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness
of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
- Psalm 127:1 "Except the LORD build the house, they
labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh
but in vain."
- Psalm 60:11 "Give us help from trouble: for vain is
the help of man."
- 1 Corinthians 3:20 "And again, The Lord knoweth the
thoughts of the wise, that they are vain."
- 1 Corinthians 1:20 "Where is the wise? where is the
scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom
of this world?"
- Romans 1:22 "Professing themselves to be wise, they
d. We have absolutely no hope from any other source.
- Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other:
for there is none other name under Heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
- John 5:41 "I receive not honour from men."
- John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the
truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."
- John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might
know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent."
- Psalm 39:7 "And now, LORD, what wait I for? my hope
is in Thee."
- Psalm 78:7 "That they might set their hope in God,
and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments"
- Psalm 147:11 "The LORD taketh pleasure in them that
fear him, in those that hope in his mercy."
- John 5:44 "How can ye believe, which receive honour
one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?"
- 1 Thessalonians 2:6 "Nor of men sought we glory, neither
of you, nor yet of others"
- John 3:36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting
life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God
abideth on him."
- 1 John 5:12 "He that hath the Son hath life; and he
that hath not the Son of God hath not life."
e. We know the revelation of Christ Jesus to our souls, as our Hope, by the working
of His Holy Spirit.
- John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost,
whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all
things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
- John 15:26 "But when the Comforter is come, whom I
will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from
the Father, He shall testify of Me"
- John 16:13 "Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth,
is come, He will guide you into all truth"
- Philippians 3:21 "according to the working whereby
He is able even to subdue all things unto Himself."
- f. We recognize Him to be the One that dwells in us,
and is received by faith to be the Supreme Control of our souls.
- 1 John 3:24 "And he that keepeth His commandments
dwelleth in Him, and He in him. And hereby we know that He abideth in us, by the
Spirit which He hath given us."
- John 14:23 "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a
man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and We will come
unto him, and make Our abode with him."
- 2 Corinthians 5:15 "And that He died for all, that
they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto Him which died
for them, and rose again."
- John 14:15 "If ye love Me, keep My commandments."
- 2 Corinthians 6:16 "And what agreement hath the temple
of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will
dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."
- Ephesians 3:17 "That Christ may dwell in your hearts
by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love"
- Revelation 21:3 "And I heard a great voice out of
Heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with
them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their
- 1 John 4:13 "Hereby know we that we dwell in Him,
and He in us, because He hath given us of His Spirit."
- 1 John 2:6 "He that saith he abideth in Him ought
himself also so to walk, even as He walked."
- John 13:15 "For I have given you an example, that
ye should do as I have done to you."
- John 15:10 "If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide
in My love; even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love."
g. We appreciate Him being our Hope, and we have a hearty and joyful reception
of Him in this relationship. The dethroning of self, the utter denial and rejection
of self, is essential to the enthroning and crowning of Christ in our inner man.
When Christ is clearly seen to be the only hope of our soul, and when He is spiritually
received in this relation, the soul learns habitually and constantly to lean upon
Him, to rest in Him, and makes no efforts without Him.
- Psalm 16:9 "Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory
rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in Hope."
- Psalm 33:18 "Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them
that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy"
- Psalm 119:81 "My soul fainteth for Thy salvation:
but I hope in Thy Word."
- Romans 8:10 "And if Christ be in you, the body is
dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness."
- Galatians 5:24 "And they that are Christ's have crucified
the flesh with the affections and lusts."
- Romans 6:4 "Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism
into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father,
even so we also should walk in newness of life."
- Romans 6:5 "For if we have been planted together in
the likeness of His death, we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection"
- Galatians 6:14 "But God forbid that I should glory,
save in the cross of our LORD Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me,
and I unto the world."
- Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless
I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the
flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me, and gave Himself for me."
- Psalm 39:7 "And now, LORD, what wait I for? my hope
is in Thee."
- Psalm 71:14 "But I will hope continually, and will
yet praise Thee more and more."
- Revelation 1:5-6 "And from Jesus Christ ... the Prince
of the kings of the earth. Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in
His own blood, and hath made us kings and priests unto God and His Father; to Him
be glory and dominion for ever and ever."